Monday, November 3, 2008

Coping

Whenever I see articles in magazines or online about miscarriage and stillbirth I am, understandably, drawn to them. I want to see what other peoples' experiences have been and what are they trying to tell other people through their writing. As I read a magazine article in some rare quiet time yesterday, I knew I wanted to share it with others and I found it online today.

The article really took me off guard a bit by how close to home it hit. Today it's been 11 months to the day since we found out at that awful ultrasound appointment that Joshua had died. I can say that without crying uncontrollably now and I often go weeks at a time without getting overly emotional about our loss, so I guess the depths at which this article struck me caught me off guard because I have felt so "together" in so many ways in the past couple of months. Remembering is good though and I need to be brought back into the reality of loss without losing sight of our impending joy. The intermingling of the two is where I am caught right now and I think reading this article made me think more seriously about the coming days where that will be become more and more "real". In all likelihood, our baby girl will be born just days before the one year anniversary of the day Joshua was stillborn.

Here's the link to the article.
And here's a link to a related piece in the same magazine.

2 comments:

Rooney's Little Musings said...

Ashley,

I found your blog through the pipers. I have almost finished reading An Exact Replica, and while I can't say I've enjoyed it because of the subject matter, I have looked to it at times as a life-saver. To know that my feelings aren't crazy, and that I'm not alone helps so much.

I've enjoyed reading several of your latest blogs, and look forward to reading your older ones. I was also so struck by the pipers post about the loss of one child being a separate desire from having another...

Hope you are doing well.

sumi said...

HUGS...